Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pacifism vs. Anti-War, Pro-Peace, Pro-Defense

Pacifism as defined by Webster:
1: opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes; specifically  refusal to bear arms on moral or religious grounds
2: an attitude or policy of nonresistance

I do not consider myself a pacifist -- but I am anti-war and pro-peace based on the non-aggression principle i.e
I oppose the initiation of force and fraud

In keeping with the non-aggression principle, I would not consider myself anti-defense, but rather pro-defense -- as once force has been
initiated upon me or my family, etc.. I would defend myself, my family, and my country using force if necessary.

There is no denying the mother-bear-defending-her-cubs instinct runs deep.

Jan

2 comments:

  1. "I would defend myself, my family, and my country using force if necessary."

    Amen, and almost any mother would do the same. The sad part is that so few people have any real idea how to go about it, or how to avoid the confrontation to start with.

    I teach armed self defense, but the most important part of the course is learning how to avoid needing to use force! The gun is only about 10% of what a person needs to know, but gun use is, sadly, the greatest part of most training available.

    Years ago I wrote a small book to supplement the NRA classes I teach, to provide this information so that students could re-read it and follow the practice guides to increase their skills and improve their defensive measures and attitudes.

    It was written to supplement the classes, but there has been so much interest that I am working on a stand alone version that will have less of the gun stuff and more of the rest. I'm seeking input from students and readers of all kinds so that I can provide the information most needed and useful.

    I offer that booklet free in pdf to anyone who will send me an email requesting it. mamaliberty- at -rtconnect.net

    The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life. If I had known then what I know now, I would never have had to pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MamaLiberty ...thanks for bringing these important points to this discussion: 1) Being prepared to/capable of using force when needed and 2) Being prepared to/capable of avoiding force whenever possible.

    Understandably, each take their own skill set and, as such, recognizing and acquiring the appropriate skills/tools to accomplish each task is essential.

    Thanks so much for offering this information to us free of charge. I just emailed you a request for a pdf of the booklet and look forward to receiving it.

    Thanks much!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete